Here are the issues I'm most passionate about. I would love to hear from you about the issues and policies that matter the most to you. Click here to share your thoughts and concerns.
Criminal Justice Reform
Rather than a vehicle of justice and public safety, the criminal justice system has become a mechanism of economic and political exile. It is far too easy to become a felon in the commonwealth of Virginia and the consequences are far too great. Beyond any measure of punishment or deterrence, the felony label carries a life sentence of second-class citizenship. I believe we must enact, among others, the following reforms immediately:
- Raise the dollar threshold of felony larceny from $200 to a minimum of $1,000
- End "trial by ambush" and enact into law the discovery reform recommendations of the Special Committee on Criminal Discovery Rules
- Repeal Virginia's felon disenfranchisement laws, which date back to the post-Civil War era
The 70th District covers three different school districts, each of which faces unique challenges and opportunities. As an RPS Parent, I am dedicated to seeing our public school systems thrive.
- Our teachers are some of the lowest paid in the country, I will fight to give them the raise that they deserve.
- We need to closely examine the funding calculations to make sure that all jurisdictions are receiving the funding they need.
- We need to fund alternative programs for at-risk youth and break the school-to-prison pipeline.
I will advocate for all public schools in the 70th District and work with local governments to address over-crowding, disciplinary challenges, and standards of learning.
Though the practice of gerrymandering goes back to the earliest days of our nation, the modern racial and political gerrymandering program has reached new levels of sophistication and precision. In recent years, General Assembly elections have become so non-competitive as to render them perfunctory at best. I view this level of gerrymandering as a form of disenfranchisement.
We must take action before the next round of redistricting in 2021. As a member of the House of Delegates, I will support and fight for the outlaw of political gerrymandering.
As a nation of immigrants, we must acknowledge the unique role that immigrants play in American culture. We must adopt intelligent and humane immigration policies that affirm the human dignity of immigrants and promote public safety and economic development. In the commonwealth of Virginia, undocumented immigrants face the constant risk of discrimination, violence, and exploitation. Yet, these same people play a vital role in our economic growth. I support the following policies and reforms:
- Driver authorization for immigrants, which would make our roads safer and allow immigrants to drive to work, school, church, and elsewhere without the threat of arrest
- Fair treatment of workers and the means to punish employers who refuse to pay immigrant workers
- A comprehensive plan to end human trafficking and forced labor in Virginia, which disproportionately effects seasonal and undocumented workers